Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Second Guess

I am reading a study guide for a life insurance exam. (I know you want a copy, but you'll need to get in line) On the first page are some test taking tips.

Eliminate options you know are wrong.
Get plenty of sleep.
Know what to expect.
Relax.
Always go with you first guess.

They all seem like good bits of advice. I've always been a good test taker, so I guess I come to the table with many of these tips as habits. Why then do I look at life differently? Could I do well to always go with my first guess? Should I be guessing here? Would I make it in a world with no second guessing?

I have trained my self to second guess. There were days when I knew I was right, and to second guess was to slow down. My pride kept me ahead of the game. Ahead of everyone else. Humility comes from many places. Maybe from second guessing. I'm not sure that second guessing and uncertainty are the same thing, but not being so sure I'm right has been helpful. I'm less judgmental, less preachy, and less of an arrogant jerk. Less...

1 comment:

TS said...

I don't mean to take away from the depth of your post (which I enjoyed reading), but did you switch jobs? Or are you planning to? I really don't remember you mentioning life insurance. Anywho....