Thursday, November 13, 2008

Music of my life

As one or two of you might know, I'm into music. I love to turn people on to a new band/artist. I have gotten a few suggestions lately and I feel that it is incumbent upon me to reciprocate.
Anyone not listening to Paper Route should stop it! They are up-and-comers who are doing something new.
The Avett Brothers are amazing lyrically and folksy good musically as well.
The same can be said for Josh Ritter, but he has a bit more polish.
Jon Foreman is a musical master mind with an amazing voice. His solo EP's have been more than solid.
As voices go, Glen Hansard is not to be missed. He has more emotion in his uvula than most can muster in a lifetime.
Martin Sexton is a musical chameleon with a voice that plays hide and seek with style and instrumentation. He can do anything he wants with his pipes.
A new interest of mine, Johnny Flynn, has a folk/bluegrass exuberance that starts you on the journey, and an obsession with death lyrically. Not bad at all.
City and Colour, a side project for the lead singer of a much harder band, is very good on the lyric and melody front. I am also into his guitar playing. His other band is evedint in his composition.
Damien Jurado and Hayden both have new albums worth checking out.
None of this is really ground breacking, but I enjoy it. I only hope that you find joy in the creative spark of others. Let me know if I left off someone who is about to blow my mind I just don't know it yet.

2 comments:

deliveredjude said...

I am very excited to soon check out some of those peeps whom I have not listened to at this juncture. You always keep my musical menu full and my stomach hungry.

TS said...

Have you checked out Copeland - You Are My Sunshine? They also have a special edition that comes with a DVD filmtrack which provides a lot of introspection into the lyrics. I think they have all of their songs up on the website and their myspace as well if you want to give a listen.